Richard Corbett, MEP hosted a seminar on dispute settlement mechanisms in the context of Brexit with the Joint Brussels Office of the UK Law Societies. The event took place at the premises of the European Parliament on 8 November 2017.
The panellists discussed which dispute settlement systems were appropriate for different areas of law, looking specifically at when the CJEU would be available to parties and if it is not, what the options are. In the context we also explored how the EFTA court, Swiss and other international dispute settlement mechanisms operate.
The panellists were:
· Richard Corbett, Labour Member of the European Parliament for Yorkshire & Humber (Host)
· Cath Howdle, Deputy Director, EFTA Surveillance Authority,
· Professor Christa Tobler, Universities of Basel (Switzerland) and Leiden
· Vanessa Naish, Professional Support Consultant, Herbert Smith Freehills LLP and member of The Law Society’s Trade in Legal Services Working Party
· Helena Raulus, Head of Office, UK Law Societies Joint Brussels Office
· David Greene, Senior Partner, Head of Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Edwin Coe LLP and Chair of Legal Affairs and Policy Board, The Law Society of England and Wales